Museum Development London
The London Museum Development programme provides a comprehensive programme of support, training, skills-sharing and development opportunities for museums of all sizes and scales right across the capital, with a focus on non-national museums.
The programme is hosted by Museum of London. It is informed by consultation with individual museums and with museum networks across London, particularly London Museums Group.
The programme is wholly funded by Arts Council England, which for the period 2015-18 has awarded Museum of London £255,000 per annum to deliver Museum Development in London. There are approximately 180 museums in London, of which 125 are Accredited non-national museums.
What we do
The 2015-18 programme was developed via evaluation of the previous 2012-15 programme and extensive consultation with the London museums sector. Museum Development Officers (MDOs) deliver support on their individual specialist areas right across London, and support on Accreditation on a geographical sub-regional basis. The delivery structure is as follows:
- Individual MDOs each lead on one of the agreed strategic priority areas of organisational health, collections, audiences and digital technologies, working across the capital to run programmes and providing specialist advice on these subjects
- Three members of the team also provide Accreditation advice to museums according to the agreed geographical areas of South and West London, Central and East London and North London
- Support is provided via a range of approaches, site visits and one-to-one advice, training and skills events, facilitated skills-sharing, programmes of intensive support for small cohorts of museums, grant programmes, and by working with a diverse range of museum networks and forums covering specific areas or subject specialisms
- Following up on the consultation, a particular emphasis in 2015-18 has been on brokering zero-cost skills-sharing, unlocking more of the skills not only within Museum of London but in museums large and small right across the capital
Museum of London has a lead role on collections among major ACE-funded museums, and the advice and training delivered on this is particularly significant. The London Museum Development team also has expertise in resilience and organisational health via its ‘Survive and Thrive’ programme which it has run for the last four years.
- Ben Travers , Museum Development Manager
- 0207 001 9831