Our overarching goal is to create a thriving museum sector by raising standards, driving excellence and supporting people working in museums.
Museum Development Network aims to:
- Ensure that everyone can experience and be inspired by museums. From the teacher planning a class visit; the student seeking work experience; families visiting in term holidays; community groups using galleries for creative activity; to the volunteers who help keep the museum running – we promote museums as safe spaces for all to enjoy.
- Ensure that excellence is at the heart of the museum sector. That means supporting museums to deliver quality exhibitions, events, activities and services and to maintain sector-recognised professional standards.
- Support skills development for people working in museums. We deliver a range of training and professional development opportunities for the museum workforce to increase skills and grow confidence.
- Support museums to deliver quality services for communities. In order to thrive, museums need to remain relevant to the communities they serve. We help museums understand their market to develop programmes to grow and diversify their visitors.
- Help museums manage their collections ethically and creatively. Holding art and museum collections in trust for future generations is a central activity for museums. We promote best practice for managing cultural assets and help museums communicate the stories that connect their collections to visitors and communities. in new and innovative ways.
- Deliver grant programmes to strengthen museum services. In addition to providing advice, guidance and training, we support all of the above through small grants programmes.