Museum Development East Midlands
Museum Development East Midlands (MDEM) provides a range of servics and opportunities to Accredited museums (and those working toward Accreditation) across the region. MDEM is hosted by Leicestershire County Council. While it is primarily funded by Arts Council England as part of the national museum development programme, it also receives significant funding from Northamptonshire County Council and Leicestershire County Council which allows for more targeted and intensive support in those counties.
The MDEM programme board is comprised of partners and stakeholders from: Nottingham Trent University (NTU) – MDEM works closely with NTU to link the post-graduate museum and heritage development course into MDEM activity; East Midlands Museum Service (EMMS) – a regional museums membership organisation; the Major Partner Museums (MPM) and LCC. The MDEM steering group, comprised of county forum representatives, meets throughout the year to inform and discuss MDEM activity and direction.
What we do:
Access to small grants, advice and information, a comprehensive training programme and targeted intensive support in the areas of working with children and young people, audience development, digital strategies, business development and collections.
The following programmes and support are available to museums:
- Regional Collections Adviser, and small collections access grants
- Business Development diagnostic, training, support and small grants
- Region-wide training programme
- Small grants
- Targeted support in areas of children and young people (including mystery shopper programme), audience development, digital engagement
- Technical Accreditation advice
- Artists and Museums programme
- Greener Museums programme
- Lone Workers Network